Monday, December 14, 2009

My fave pop Christmas Songs








Like many of you, recently my free time has been consumed with Christmas shopping. This inevitably means that I'm frequently in and out of many retail stores. As a former retail employee (over 5 years spent in retail, to be exact), I know that from Black Friday until December 26th, shoppers & employees alike will be bombarded with Christmas music as they shop. Particularly, "Christmas classics" re-done by current pop stars.

One particular store that I've been in & out of on my lunch breaks is T.J. Maxx. Now, I can handle Mariah Carey Christmas songs. I can tolerate late '90s/early '00s boy band Christmas music. I can even swallow Britney & Christina. But, I will not, cannot bear to hear Jessica Simpson! Twice in one week, I heard her singing Christmas classics. I can't even recall which songs they were 'cause I was too busy envisioning taking a T-stand to my eardrums! Surely, this is not the desired effect that T.J.Maxx had in mind from their shoppers? I thought that all stores, except grocery stores, picked music that they hoped would entice the shopper, not send them running in droves out of the store! Jess' breathy,over-the-top, under-talented, desperately trying to sound sexy singing is just too much.

On the plus side, I've heard two of my fave pop Christmas songs in recent weeks. These songs cause me to stop whatever I'm doing & spontaneously start busting a move. Make fun of me if you want, but I love U2's Baby Please Come Home & Wham's Last Christmas.

Admit it. You love it, too.

No comments: