Thursday, August 28, 2008

When celebrity endorsements hurt the presidential candidate


Normally, I find it interesting when I find out that a celebrity that I like shares my same political views. Lately, however, there have been some celebrities that are endorsing Obama that I feel like are hurting the cause rather than helping it. Plus, a part of me gets irked at the fact that some celebrities are so full of themselves that they think that what they think will influence us regular people. People that just make me think "Jesus Christ, will you please shut your non-graduating from high school can barely read a script dumbass up?" Back in '04, I read that some of the most politically vocal celebrities, like Diddy & Ben Affleck, weren't even registered and/or hadn't voted prior to that year's election. I'm hoping that that's the case this year. I've compiled a brief list of celebrities that are endorsing Obama below. I think if these people are even thinking about voting, we may be better off if their SUV runs out of gas on their way to Starbucks & the voting booth.

Pro-Obama: Oprah, Jennifer Lopez, Scarlett Johannsen, Ben Affleck, Chris Brown, Jamie Foxx, Diddy, Russell Simmons, Ludacris, Charles Barkley, Roseanne Barr.

Pro-McCain: Kathy & Rick Hilton, Heidi Montag, Stephen Baldwin.

Shit, did my short list of twit McCain supporters totally void out my list of Obama supporters? Oh, well. Just in case you need an example of how useless & unhelpful a celebrity endorsement is, here's an excerpt of a song that Ludacris made in honor of Obama. Something tells me that this won't be playing at the DNC this week:
I’m back on it like I just signed my record deal/
Yeah the best is here/
The Bentley Coup paint is dripping wet - it got sex appeal/
Never should have hated - you never should’ve doubted him/
With a slot in the president’s iPod Obama shouted him/
Said I handled his biz and I’m one of his favorite rappers/
Will give Luda a special pardon if I’m ever in the slammer/
Better yet put me in office, make me your vice president/
Hillary hated on you, so that bitch is irrelevant/
Now Jesse talking slick and apologizing for what?/
If you said it then you meant it, how you want it - head or gut?/
And all you other politicians trying to hate on my man/
Watch us win a majority vote in every state on my man/
You can’t stop what’s ’bout to happen, we ’bout to make history/
The first black president is destined and it’s meant to be/
The threats ain’t fazing us, the nooses or the jokes/
Get off your ass, black people, it’s time to get out and vote/
Paint the White House black and I’m sure that’s got ‘em terrified/
McCain don’t belong in any chair unless he’s paralyzed/
Yeah I said it cause Bush is mentally handicapped/
Ball up all of his speeches and I throw em like candy wrap/
‘Cause what you talking I hear nothing even relevant/
And you the worst of all 43 presidents/
Get out and vote or the end will be near/
The world is ready for change because Obama is here/

No comments: