Monday, October 06, 2008

Annoying. Twitter.


As a fellow Unpretty blogger pointed out, lately our blogging has lapsed as our 140-tweeting has increased. Blame short attention spans, I guess.

But here are things about Twitter that I find utterly annoying:

1) Baring your soul to an embarrassing degree: If you are crying in real life, it seems a little less genuine if you are also working your thumbs to update your iPhone with how sad you are. Let's keep some things private.

2) Twitter relationships: on my work account, there is a couple (one in Philly, one in Baltimore) that talk all day via their @'s on Twitter. It's embarrassing. A 30 year old man and his girlfriend that works at WalMart are constantly flirting and sending love notes via Twitter. They fight about him @'ing other girls on Twitter. They even have tweeted about their sex AND used the word "boner." Gross. But I say nothing, since it is my work account. Sigh.

3) Depressed Twitterers: This is not the same as #1. Some Twitterers, like in #1, just have bad days or moments. Other are CONSTANTLY bitching or sad. In fact, the WalMart girlfriend from #2 is one of them. Every post is about how she hates her life, or thinks her customers are stupid, etc. I want to tell her to get off Twitter and get ON Prozac. There was another Twitterer, a photographer, who was depressed for about 2 months, but luckily things seem to be looking up for her. So it's not a lost cause.

4) Worker-Outers: I don't mind the occasional "went for a bike ride this morning" or "ran five miles- I'm so excited." I do that myself sometimes. But I can't stand the peeps who use Twitter as a public log of their workout accomplishments. I follow two people that every day mention how far they ran, what pace they had, how many weights they lifted. It's like, great. You work out, I eat chips and stare at my computer. Thanks for the update.

5) People who bitch about hashtags: Lots of super twitterers are big social media folks. And they HATE hashtags (#). Honestly, I read more posts about hating hashtags than I read posts that actually include hashtags. There is a lot of stupid bullshit on Twitter -- about 75% of it -- and you just have to learn to ignore it. I ignore hashtags. Why get so up in arms over a pound sign?

And that is all for now. I'd love to hear your Twitter pet peeves.

4 comments:

aaronic said...

I'm still new to Twitter, so it's all still so exciting!

Flip Flop Girl said...

I also don't like the hashtags complaints, especially since I really don't know what they are talking about.

Flip Flop Girl said...

I would say that I don't like when people write something that is obviously an inside joke that only one or two other people will understand, except for the fact that I do that. Suck it, Twitter freaks!

Anonymous said...

twitter is the bomb. i am also hearing tumbler is gaining popularity, but im resisting it only because i dont have time for more internets!!!