Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Outrage!

My signifcant other and I are looking to buy a house hopefully within the next year, so I went online the other day to get a credit report. I don't know why I ignored the funny guy singing the jingles in the commercials, but I did not opt for FreeCreditReport.com. I chose another database for one dollar and moved on.

Anyway, today I checked PNC Bank online statement and I had two unauthorized charges for some random website. I Googled it, found out these websites are notorious for scamming people and called a number. I got some strange answering machine, so tried another. I spoke with this weird representative who explained that they would immediately refund my money. It was scary and sketchy.

Just be careful.

Love,
Your Mom

3 comments:

M.Amanda said...

You shouldn't ever have to pay anything for your credit report. You can request up to three reports a year (one from each agency) for free at www.annualcreditreport.com. To verify your identity, they ask all sorts of questions beyond name and ss#, like "you have a loan through x bank, how much is the monthly payment: $100-250, $251-$400...." They do charge for your credit score, though, about $8 if I remember correctly.

I usually go there and request mine on my b-day, April 15, and Dec 31.

Good luck with the house!

mo cheeks said...

exactly what he/she said. i look up my free report usually once a year.

Anonymous said...

"Should've gone to FreeCreditReport.com could've seen it coming at me like an atom bomb"