Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Adventures in Suburbia, Part III: The Inefficiency of Direct Mail Marketing


In the two years that I’ve owned my home, I’ve received about half a dozen direct mail pieces and about 3 voicemails regarding homes for sale. What’s the problem with this? Well, as it turns out, these homes were in my neighborhood & in one recent instance, only 4 houses down from mine! This new home is actually an example of one that was sent to me the other day. It’s around the corner from my house.

If I were in the market for a new home, wouldn’t I seek out a realtor & listings? Isn’t it awfully presumptuous to think that not only am I in the market for a new home, but I want one right down the street (or around the corner) from where I currently live!?! If anything, these mailers are making me aware of how much money I can get for my own home when I eventually put it on the market.

I’m curious as to just how successful this method has been. And, if it hasn’t been very successful, could some marketing person in a real estate office figure it out and stop sending these materials?

No comments: