Thursday, July 10, 2008

Gnawing at my brain

Something has been bothering me for almost a week, and I am hoping that someone out there can help me with it.

In the movie Good Night, and Good Luck, a man and a woman who are married work at the same news station (CBS), but they have to keep it a secret because of company policy. In one scene, the woman reminds her husband to take off his wedding band before he leaves. She says, "What other wife tells her husband to take off his wedding ring before he goes to work?" The man responded, "Ava Gardner."

I DON'T GET IT. Why is this funny/witty? Who did Ava say that to? Frank? If so, I still don't understand. Please, help me.

5 comments:

NotoriousALG said...

Flip, I believe your guess is correct. Frank was heralded as a ladies man, chairman of the board, ol' blue eyes, etc. and having him married made him lose his allure. Although, it wasn't for long. Interesting that George Clooney, bachelor extraordinaire was involved in this movie and included that line. If there is any other question related to Frankie that you need answered, I am here.

Flip Flop Girl said...

Very interesting, alg. Thank you for clearing that up.

On a related note, I liken the Nancy-Frank-Ava triangle to the modern day Jen-Brad-Angelina story. I read that people were shocked and disappointed that Frank left the sweet, All-American Nancy for the sexy and elusive Ava. Sound familiar?

mo cheeks said...

ooh! also when eddie fisher left sweet, all-american debbie reynolds for badass and thrice married elizabeth taylor.

Flip Flop Girl said...

Good call, mo.

NotoriousALG said...

I met Debbie Reynolds. And Fergie. The Duchess of York, not Fergie Ferg.