Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ode to a... Flower Bud?


If you are a long-time Unpretty reader, you'll remember my Odes to various foodstuffs. I would sing the praises of artichokes and coconut soup, avocado and asparagus, beets and mango. (This was a particular dislike of one Mr. Richman, Esquire.)

Looking back, I see the Ode became a favorite of Unusual (lint brush roller), Notorius ALG (Silent Observer) and Flip Flop Girl (milk and clementines).

Well, here's the latest: and Ode to the Caper. The caper is a tricky little food item. Is it a veggie? No. A berry? Sort of. It's a flower bud, all salty and pickly and delish. It goes great in pasta and even BETTER on a bagel with cream cheese. It's definitely savory and not sweet. It's little. It's related to its bigger, less awesome cousin, the caper berry. It's nice on chicken.

Caper: I love you. Don't ever go away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

pasta puttenesca is SOOOOOOOO good-primarily due to capers and olives. you are a girl after my own heart. i heart you

NotoriousALG said...

I don't even think Silent O reads this anymore. Or cares about me.