Friday, October 13, 2006

Fraudulent Feminist.

Most of my wacko stories on this blogarama involve interaction with wackos on the street. So here we go again:

I was walking to work in the usual manner, and almost slammed into a workman. I apologized, as did he, and then he added, "Pretty ass!"

"Excuse me?" I said, giving him the benefit of the doubt.
"Pretty ass!" he repeated. My inner Gloria Steinem reared her righteous head. "That is so rude! You don't just say that to a woman on the street!" Gloria retorted. Workman looked incredulous.
"Whaddya mean?! It's not rude! Pretty ass!" Gloria and I stomped away, in indignant feminist glory, tossing another "It's rude" behind my feminist shoulder.

But here's the fraudulent part. As I walked away, I started giggling and laughing, and even felt a little proud of my pretty ass. (Which is not especially compliment-worthy by any mean, but heh.) Gloria would NOT be proud that I giggled at the outright objectification.

But then... I kept thinking about it. When a workman compliments a lady's derriere, he ususally says "Nice ass" instead of "pretty ass." And wait... this guy hadn't even seen my tushie when he said it... Ut oh. I think I made a mistake. I think he probably said "pretty eyes"-- which is not so worthy of a Gloria-esque tirade. No wonder workman was so confused by my response. Actually, I'm pretty confused myself, as my eyes have never been much of a strong point with me, and plus this a.m. they were a little red and puffy from one too many Yards beers last night. That's all I want to say. Good night and good luck.

4 comments:

NotoriousALG said...

1. You do have a pretty ass. And pretty eyes, for that matter.
2. I had a work man the other day tell me I had pretty legs. Which is a load of you-know-what because I have calf muscles the size of small turkeys.
3. Happy Friday the 13th, baby cakes. I love Ludacris.

Anonymous said...

oh jeez.

aaronic said...

The things us beautiful people have to go through...lol.

Smedelicious said...

You can't make that stuff up. God, you encounter the most rediculous things in this city!