Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Last one.


OK! Last picture! Hoorah!

This one is a thank you to all my homies who donated money. It was stressful beyond belief having to deal with that much money ($1400) down there, believe me. Nothing costs that much. And ATMs only would give me $200 to $400 at most each day... and they were most unreliable. Banks had long lines (no online banking) and I was scurred carrying cash around.

But finally, with a little help from an international calling card, my mother, and Western Union, I got the cash out and we could bring it to the (vetted!) construction company. (Jumping across a muddy stream with $1,700,000 Tanzanian shillings in 10,000 denominations was fun, I tell you.)

So, together, we built a kitchen at the orphanage! This way, when it rains they get to eat. And the oldest son gets his room back (it had previously been used as storage and the son was sleeping at relatives'.)

This is Mr. Massawe, who runs the orphanage, celebrating the first day of building.

They told me that because of this kitchen, Jesus would bring me a good husband.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i know he is on a mound of dirt, but that guy looks 10 feet tall.