Monday, June 23, 2008

Nine Years of Wondering...


...and I find the answer in Rittenhouse Nail Salon.

as some of you may know, i have a small japanese character tattooed on my right inner ankle. i got it 9 years ago when i was in art school. i was told at the time (by an american woman named Jackie Brown on south street) that it meant, "Creative Power".

predictably, i have come to regret said tatt, not because i think tattoos are wrong or anything. i just wish i would have gotten it in a more discreet place, ya know? i also am sick of hearing people ask me the same four questions when they see it:

1. YOU have a tattoo???
2. What does it mean???
3. Do you REALLY believe that?
4. Do you ever wonder if it really means something awful like, RAT or WHORE???

you can imagine how much fun this has been over the years...

well, today, i feel slightly good about my tatt, for the first time since i proudly came home and showed my mom. the japanese woman at Rittenhouse Nail Salon complimented me on it and remarked how beautifully done it was as she gave me a pedicure...I asked her what she thought it meant, and at first she told me "Power". but after consulting with two of her co-workers, she added "King" and ended up translating it as "Powerful King".

ok, so it's not actually "Creative Power"...but at least its not "Rat" or "Whore" right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you'll always be a powerful whore to me