Saturday, June 16, 2007

Ferraris, Versace and Now...Panzarottis!


the italians have given us so much. great cars, great style...what more could they possibly give? silly you for asking.

last night i went to the famed italian festival in wilmo (shout out to beanorams for being my flaxen-haired guide). it was much bigger than i expected it to be. lots of people, some dressed to the nines, having a grand ole time celebrating anything mambo italiano. there were booths, beer gardens, games, rides, bands playing music, banners waving in the air representing different italian cities and there was also...panzarottis.

what is a panzarotti? i asked myself this question while waiting in the second largest line of the entire festival (second only to the beloved funnel cake line). six bucks later, i got my answer.

it is this: a deep fried pocket of cheese, pepperoni and sauce that you can hold in your hands and devour in about 15 bites. its probably the superior ancestor of the modern day hot pocket. from whence it came, dunno, but glad its here in wilmo and glad that i tried one.

other highlights: winning a gye-goondo pink elephant while playing 18 rounds of skee ball, almost puking on the rainbow ride, and scoring free drinks from a guy who may or may not have been a cop named sunny.

that's amore!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi!I'm an italian girl... :)
I foud your blog surfin on the net and i think it's pretty nice!!
I live in the North of Italy and I ate original panzerotti in the South: i move to south italy every summer on holiday!!
Panzerotti come from the south, in particular from a region called Puglia. The original recipe has no pepperoni, but mozzarella cheese, tomato souce ( original tomato 100% italian grown up under a hot sun!! ;) ) and a spice called origano...i don't know how to call it in english. Anyway, I'm really happy to know that you love so much italy! I wish you to have a journey here...because it's beautiful! :)
Goodbye and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Titti Star86: wow, thanks for your comment and for the cool background info. keep reading us and commenting. i love that we have an international audience. maybe next time you comment, you can explain your screen name? :)

NotoriousALG said...

The boy who served you and Beanie beer is named Sonny and he is not a cop. He is a pharmacist. His brother Domenic is the cop.

tone loc said...

You don't know how glad I was to read this post. Outsiders have no idea what panzarottis are and it frustrates me. In the US, they originated at Vincent's in Merchantville, NJ which is where I go when I want one. best panzarottis ever. We used to get them for hot lunch in grade school. i just urinated in my pants because I'm craving one so badly right now. My pants are seriously soaked.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzarotti

Anonymous said...

wow. that is gross-a-ross.