Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Attractive & Personalized Debt


I’m ashamed to admit this, but I can’t be the only person that feels this way. But, I have to admit that I love attractive credit cards. The sad part is that I think the credit card companies know it too, which is why they keep making such pretty little pieces of plastic. It’s awful because if I weren’t more of a financially prudent person, I’d be in a world of trouble.My love affair started when I was a junior in college & had to finally breakdown & apply for a credit card in order to get my first car. When I saw the opportunity to have a credit card with Monet’s Starry Night on it came across my mailbox, I could’ve cared less about establishing credit & more about finding the right wallet to accessorize my new card with. I’m not kidding. After that, I received a Providian offer in an array of 4 see-thru colors, one of those small gas cards that you wave past a detector, and so on. When I worked in retail, I would see all kinds of cool credit cards. However, there are some brands/stores that you would expect to be stylish & they aren’t. Like, David’s Bridal. You’d think that if they were promoting themselves to fulfill every little girl’s dream of her “big day” that it would be gorgeous. Nope, it’s just some plain blah card. The most recent card offer to come my way is the Discover Motiva card. It’s shiny, pretty & purple. Problem is, who the hell takes Discover anymore?I think credit cards are a love/hate relationship. It’s pretty simple – they offer unlimited acceptance. If you’ve had a crappy day, you open your mailbox & there it is waiting for you - - a credit card offer that’s just beckoning to you. Some people feel as though shopping cheers them up on a crappy day; but I say “what’s the point in shopping for something nice if you don’t have anything nice to pull out of your wallet?”There are exceptions to this, of course. Lately, my student loan website has tried to personalize their website by making you pick some cheesy image, such as a butterfly, when you login. It’s supposed to personalize your account. For some odd reason, when you have to pay it back, this type of personalization just doesn’t work for me.

2 comments:

Beanorama said...

you are not alone. I got superjealous when I saw someone with an orange pnc debit card. I still have the lame-o blue one.

And I pretty much just got my AmEx 'cause it's clear. (And you can revolve a balance.)

miz cynical said...

Ohhh. You have the clear one with the pretty blue square? Cool.