Monday, August 20, 2007

Forever Your Fan

While browsing the racks at an overpriced boutique last week, I was pleasantly surprised to hear Paula Abdul's "Forever Your Girl" coming from the speakers. I know she still occasionally pops up on the FM, but it's usually "Opposites Attract" or "Cold Hearted Snake." Don't get me wrong - I used to jam out to these hits as well. But, I was excited to hear on old favorite that doesn't get much play anymore. I used to love Paula. I had all her tapes and a poster of her on my door, I wore tight shirts with ruffled sleeves, I went through a paperboy hat phase with her, and I really thought that her and Emilio would last forever.

As we all know, she and Estevez broke up, she was involved in some lawsuit with her record label, she tried unsuccessfully to adapt her music to the emerging hip hop sound, her fans eventually started wearing flannel and playing in the mud, she reemerged on the hit "American Idol," and now has a reality show that lets people get up close and personal with her craziness. But, I'll never forget dancing in my mirror to "Forever Your Girl."

5 comments:

NotoriousALG said...

I made up a dance to that song for my 6th grade boyfriend. I never got to perform it for him because we broke up and I gave him a box of dog food to signify that.

Flip Flop Girl said...

I think this story tells a lot about you.

Beanorama said...

who was it?

NotoriousALG said...

Chris Turak. He was nice. Rode my bus. We walked on the phone a lot and then he invited me to go to Longwood Gardens with his family and I was scared.

NotoriousALG said...

Talked, too....