Sunday, December 02, 2007

Isay...an imposter?


I admit it-- I'm a dork. (And so Web 2.0.) I listen to NPR's StoryCorps podcasts on iTunes.* If you don't know StoryCorps, it's basically an oral history project recorded in a van (pictured) or in a booth in NYC's Grand Central Station. The stories are really touching or sad or funny.

They were created by NPR's Dave Isay, who introduces each podcast segment with a pre-recorded little ditty. Coincidentally, Mr. Isay going to speak at the National Constitution Center about StoryCorps next week... but do I want to go? Not sure. I think Mr. Isay is an imposter because on every single podcast, you hear "Hi I'm So-and-So, filling in for Dave Isay this week." Where did Mr. Isay go? Why is everyone filling in for him? And is it filling in if he's never there?

Tough question I know.




*Unusual Suspect: is the fact that I listen to these podcasts as weird as Flip Flop reading history books or my Newsweek subscription?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just FYI, Isay doesn't work for NPR, he is in fact the founder of StoryCorps which is an independent nonprofit.
He is on a book tour right now -- hence his speaking in Philly -- so other people at StoryCorps are probably just filling-in while he's traveling.

Anonymous said...

no and yes.

Flip Flop Girl said...

Reading books about history is completely normal. It's also why I am so smart.