Monday, April 17, 2006

While we're on the Christianity tip...


I don't think So Unpretty has religious leanings, but since we just had Passover and Easter, I thought I'd share a little religious questioning that happened this weekend: while my mother and sister and I (lapsed Catholics, all) shared our Holy Easter Saturday meal of ridiculously oversized Cheesecake Factory salads, my mother asked what sister and I thought was a preposterous question:

"If Jesus was a Jew, then why are we Christians?"

Said sister and I nearly choked on our Chinese chicken salad monstrosities at the ridiculousness--and quite frankly, strangeness--of the question. Isn't it obvious? I mean, it's almost like saying, "When Bush became president, why didn't we still call it the Clinton administration?"

(Bad analogy. 1) It sort of compares Bush administration to Christianity. 2) Everyone in USA has to have Bush as the pres. Not everyone had to become Christian after Christ died.)

Sister and I thought the answer was obvious. Jesus was Jewish (wasn't almost everyone, then?). Jesus lived. Jesus died. Some people believed he was Christ. They became Christians. Other people didn't. They stayed Jews. Other religious existed as well. Obvious, right? Apparently not. Sister and I posed the question to several more people, who reached into the annals of their Sunday School knowledge, gave us exasperated attempts at an answer and gave up. I'm not looking for a big religious diatribe here, but just the answer to this: Did my mom ask a silly question, or am I too quick in my response?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not surprisingly, i pondered the same thing this weekend...
but the real question i think we should all be asking ourselves is this: is the EASTER BUNNY jewish? and furthermore, was the EASTER BUNNY ever questioned as to just what the hell he was doing the day Christ was crucified? who was his alibi? the tooth fairy? (who, by the way is definitely a MORMON)