Thursday, March 06, 2008

We Haven't Come A Long Way, Baby...


Another outcome of my car accident is that I've had to drive a rental car all week. Since I haven't been in a newer car recently (my car's an '02), I was under the impression (due to car commercials & articles) that car technology has changed to accommodate female drivers since research has shown that women primarily make the major purchasing decisions in a household & since women are usually doing the majority of the driving.

However, I learned during this week that while cars are making tremendous improvements in lots of areas (seats that move easily, MP3 compatible ports, etc.) that car manufacturers still haven't' created what I really need - a space to stash my handbag! I'm not talking about the passenger seat, either. Every woman knows that when you have a passenger in the car, it's kind of rude to toss your purse into their lap. And we also know that tossing it all the way onto the backseat is just damn inconvenient. If it's on the backseat, how are you going to apply your lipstick while at a stop light?

Also, I'm not a smoker, but have you noticed that car manufacturers are almost forcing people to quit smoking by not having an ashtray in your car? Think about it - ashtrays in the car are quickly becoming a thing of the past. I think lighters are next, too. Which I'm going to miss 'cause my mom told me that you could use one as a weapon if you're ever attacked near your car.

Great, when we're old, we'll be telling our grandkids - " Kids, I remember when there were ashtrays in your car. So that mommy could smoke her cigarettes & apply nail polish at the same time".

I'm really thinking about bringing this to the attention of a few car manufacturers. Anyone else willing to sign a petition?

No comments: