Friday, November 02, 2007

Life on the Streets

While I enjoy my daily walk to and from work, I feel the need to spell out street etiquette for all the SU readers out there:

1. At the risk of sounding like Joey Vento, welcome to America - veer to the right. If you and another walker are on a collision coarse, go to the right.
2. Groups of two, three, or four, please keep in mind that the city sidewalks are narrow. Break from your mindless conversation, drop back, and let others pass. I have literally had to push up against buildings because I've had no room to pass opposing traffic.
3. Bikers, we've had our problems in the past. Manayunk was a trying time in our relationship. But, you must yield to peds - just like the cars you pretend to be.
4. Slow walkers, I really don't even know what to say at this point. Not only are you slow, but you walk in weird patterns and in the middle of sidewalks, making it extremely difficult to pass you. Slow walking is for parks and gardens. Make way.

That is my rant for the day. Please be mindful of your fellow pedestrians. Thank you.

2 comments:

Beanorama said...

1. Right on
2. Right on
3. Right on
4. Right on

Anonymous said...

ok, whats hilarious is that chris and i found ourselves being those annoying pedestrians just this past weekend. veering to the left, walking slowly while consulting maps and wind direction, and just happy to not be "on our way" anywhere...to work...to school...to the doctors...yada yada yada. so while i totally agree with these rules, its only on my own terms of course.

such is life.