Saturday, November 24, 2007

WTF advice columnists?


Today I read Dear Abby and some other syndicated advice column, and I almost peed mis pantalones on just how outdated the advice was!

First, some highschool girl wrote into Dear Abby that she hadn't had a boyfriend in a while, and she was a cute girl who likes makeup and clothes but also likes paintball and some boys' sports. She said a couple of guys didn't like her back and instead "liked her as a friend." OK, you think, young gal, seems pretty normal, tell her just to keep having fun and doing what she likes and soon enough, a boy will come along that likes her for all the things she listed.

But no. Abby's brilliant, June-Cleaver-esque advice? "Downplay the sports and things that you are into and try to be more girly." Are you effing kidding me?

I turn the newspaper page.... and I found another redic advice column, but I forget what it was right now, so I will finish this later.

4 comments:

Flip Flop Girl said...

Appalling. Can't wait to hear the next one.

Anonymous said...

i am saddened by the picture not the post, because that woman from 1953 has a dishwasher and i still do not.

Beanorama said...

pathetically, I forgot the next one, so the post petered out.

miz cynical said...

Are you sure it wasn't in Dear Ms. Prudence? Unusual - I have the answer to your dishwasher scenario - portable/convertible dishwasher. I have one.