Friday, June 23, 2006

Forever and Ever, Amen.


The other night, I was talking to my next door neighbor who is attending a Dave Matthews Band concert this evening and it got me thinking....I really miss Dave Matthews Band. They were probably -- like a lot of us -- my first musical love. The first band that I was really "into," as my Dad said. The first band that I felt compelled to buy a t-shirt at their concert. Oh no, wait. I lied. That was Blind Melon and it was black and I wore it to shreds.

For those of us that were in high school during the mid-90s, Dave Matthews Band provided us a welcome departure from the R&B and (up for debate) bad rap music of that era. I will never forget the first time I heard "Satellite" or when I got "Under the Table and Dreaming" for my 15th birthday. I also got red suede Sambas, which rocked. And a pair of leather loafers that were later chewed by my volleyball coach's stupid dog, but that's neither here nor there.

When Dave Matthews Band came to your town (or close enough to it), it was a gd thrill to go to the concerts. This was before they sold out stadiums. This was when you put on your best J.Crew men's sweater, Birks, and bought stickers in the parking lot. I think a DMB concert was the was the first time I ever had a beer.

Once I got to college, I moved away from DMB as they sold out stadiums and started to release a lot of live albums -- which were great -- but something was lost. I love their old stuff so much. I just downloaded a slew of songs onto my iPod and I am so happy about it.

I think it's time to rediscover the glory of "Recently", "One Sweet World," and "Crash Into Me." It's just so good.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah yes...DMB concerts were a must way back when. i was obsessed with so many thing DMB that it was an illness.

now, i can't tell you the last time i listened to a long lost tune of his, but this post has inspired me to try to do that this weekend.

MJL said...

1. DMB concerts were definitely a rite of passage for any high schooler in the mid-90s.

2. Their older stuff still holds up as being excellent music.

3. I believe the suede adidas shoes you speak of are called "Gazelles."

NotoriousALG said...

MWP=Smarty Pants.

Beanorama said...

Lover Lay Down will always be a fave.

NotoriousALG said...

"Hey Beanorama, sorry you're sad about XXX. Maybe you should listen to Lover Lay Down, it'll make you feel better."

Beanorama said...

i forget who xxx was. RN? BL?

NotoriousALG said...

The driver of a Neon with a vanity license plate, my dear.

Anonymous said...

I discovered this band.