Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I Just Wanted a DVD, Not the Third Degree.


I have lived in a total of three cities in the past four years and as many people do, my roommates and I have opened video store memberships. And each and every time, the person who opens said membership is honestly like a member of the CIA. I am impressed that the take it so seriously, but please relax.

A sampling of the intensity I have experienced....

When living in the outskirts of Philadelphia with two roommates, we went to Blockbuster and opened a membership. "Ok," the woman began, "the thing to remember is that this card (laminated membership card) is just like a credit card. If you lose it, you must call us immediately and close the account. You do not want people abusing your account." Hmmm. My Blockbuster card falls out of my wallet, someone picks it up and treats everyone on Ridge Avenue to a DVD rental at my expense? I doubt it. She then looks me dead in the face, as I am responsible for the account, and says, "Who are the other authorized users?" I indicate my friends who are with me, clearly my age, and she says, "Do you want them to be able to rent R-rated movies without you being here?" I almost wet myself.

I thought it was a fluke, but just this past weekend, I opened a membership in my new (old) hometown and was greeted with the same commitment to video rental. This time it involved hand-outs and magnets, but there was no sense of ennui in this store. Which I suppose it great. But still strange.

Make it a Blockbuster night, y'all. But please take it seriously. They certainly do.

3 comments:

MJL said...

Blockbuster is right behind Starbucks in the "most annoying employees" race. Seriously, do you have to welcome me to Blockbuster, even when you're at the opposite end of the store?

Jody said...

ugh. the one in my town is a separate franchise and is owned individually so they don't force employees to be nice. If you ask them to look in the incoming rentals behind the counter for a specific release they act like it is the most inconvenient thing ever. I know it is tedious to look through a pile of DVDs but at least pretend to make and effort! Don't just glance at an overflowing pile and tell me you don't have it.

Anonymous said...

thats why i go to the ghetto fab rental store in my neighborhood where i have lied for THREE years and said that i lost my card and they just put in on my mom's account! its great!
(of course, i pay for my own rentals, please, i am not a heartless animal.)