Monday, June 19, 2006

Ode to a root vegetable.


well, it's been about three minutes since i slobbered all over my keyboard while typing about food... so here's my little ode to a deep red root vegetable, the beet. i have always loved the beet, even eating slices of pickled beet straight out of the jar. but, much to my delight, these days the beet has a certain cache. beets are en vogue! just like artichokes, figs, and lately, honey, beets are now all over fancy menus. (my superior tells me this is because they are dirt cheap, oh well.)

but watch out. cause these delicious root veggies stain. and red stains are so unpretty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Smedelicious said...

I'm sorry, but I love the Ode to "Food". It's my favorite thing on this blog...

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, yes. I LOVE the beet, always have. As a kid my grandma did a lot of canning. (pickling things and storing them in 100's of glass jars in the basement. Old people do the craziest things. The pickled beets were my favorite food ever. My littler 5-year old lips were permanently stained a lovely shade of red.

Beanorama said...

smeddy, dr whiz would disagree. i hear he hates the food ones. but he is too cowardly to tell me to my face.