Monday, July 24, 2006

Do You Want Heavy Starch? Or Just an Insult?


I have been going to the tailor/dry cleaner across the street from my office for a solid four years. The shop is run by two charming women, who I believe to be sisters. That certainly does not impact the tale I am about to weave, but it's interesting nonetheless. (Sidenote: I am waiting at work for a news release and there is no end in sight to the wait.)

Anyway, the other day I brought my stuff over and my wallet lay open on the counter. "IS THAT YOU??!?!" the one woman asks, motioning to my drivers license. I nod my head yes and she erupts into laughter. "YOU LOOK LIKE A MAN!!!" she giggles, clutching her side. I stammer, "I had my hair back in the picture," turn on my heel, and leave. I don't think I look like a man in my picture. In fact, I really like it.

I was aghast. Yes, aghast.

But today, her sister redeemed herself and said I was nice.

5 comments:

Beanorama said...

i've seen the photo in question. you look like a lady. a lovely lady.

Anonymous said...

this story is so much better when you do the voice!

Jody said...

My co-worker saw my drivers license recently. It is an older picture from about 3 years ago when my hair was shorter and dyed brown. "what's with your hair???" he said.
Ugh. Nothing. Gosh. WHatever.

Anonymous said...

for some reason when i read this post, the actress who played the part of the mean sister dry cleaner in my head (the one that proclaimed, "IS THAT YOU?!?!")was definitely cheecho.

how funny is that?

Smedelicious said...

That's pretty brutal. Apparently the idea of "blatant rudeness" was not part of their upbringing