Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Top Ten Scariest Movies Ever

i was inspired by fellow blogger and patriarch of whatthefphilly.blogspot, the great Mr. Tone Loc, to come up with a top ten movie list...however, where his list made him laugh, my list made me scream. i don't know how many unpretty readers actually enjoy the horror genre, but i do very much, and who we kidding? its all about me...

10. The Shining
Would you believe I watched this movie for the first time while babysitting a bratty 7 year old in Jersey? as if that's not scary enough, right? his mother actually recommended that i put it on to get him to go to bed (because it terrified him so much that he would voluntarily stop watching TV and go to sleep....go figure.) well, it succeeded in getting him out of my hair, but it also scarred the living shit out of me. RED RUM! RED RUM! (that's murder spelled backwards for all of you who don't already know)

9. Scream
This was an awesome flick. Drew Barrymore's cameo was off the hiz-ook and i fell in love with the Johnny Depp look alike (skeet Ulrich) who also happened to be one of the two killers. i obviously am turned on by homicidal maniacs.

8. Signs
Seeing this movie in the theater, in the actual town it was shot and set in, was so surreal and creepy. and aliens have always scared me to death. i have clear memories of watching Unsolved Mysteries when i was an wee laddy and i believed with my whole heart that my neighbor was an alien spy.

7. The Amityville Horror
This movie really isn't all that scary, but the book it was based on was terrifying. Also, its branded as a "true story". i'm such a sucker for that.

6. Nightmare on Elm Street
Freddy Fucking Krueger. Dying in your dreams. Enough said.

5. The Blair Witch Project
Its a joke now, but if you think back to the first week this movie opened in the indie theaters, it was scary as all get it out. this was another movie which was rumored to be a true story. i screamed like Michael Jackson on fire when i saw it for the first time.

4. Rosemary's Baby
Mia Farrow is already pretty scary, but give her a psycho haircut and impregnate her with satan's spawn? mortifying!

3. The Birds
A Hitchcock classic. and a fun fact for you: The star, Tippy Hedren, is Melanie Griffith's mother. that explains alot about Melanie Griffith.

2. Silence of the Lambs
Best line EVER: Says a crazy, serial killing tranny to a hysterical victim he's imprisoned in a well: "It puts the lotion in the bucket!"

1. The Exorcist
The subliminal messages in this movie are enough to fuck with you for the rest of your life. and that crucifixion masturbation scene? pure terror.

Let me know if you agree/disagree/could care less.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is the most unscariest list ever. Actually its just scream and signs i have a problem with

Jody said...

I hid behind a pillow through most of The Exorcist. I still try to block the sounds and images.I saw it 7 years ago.

tone loc said...

Solid # one and # two. Let's not forget Halloween or the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Or Kindergarten Cop, which should be on any top movie list.

Anonymous said...

or any Arnold movie for that matter...seriously though Tone, i almost listed Predator...

aaronic said...

While I was watching The Birds I thought it was stupid. Then one day I came home, and there were a bunch of birds sitting on my roof.

Then the movie finally set in. Scary f*#%ing movie.

Anonymous said...

birds are dirty and gross...and i mean both kinds :)

NotoriousALG said...

Even though we rolled 12 deep to Blair Witch and left Beanorama at home, it was terrifying. And after the Exorcist? I swore my bed was shakin' -- and not in the good way -- for weeks.

Anonymous said...

My version of this list would read #1)The Shining. repeated 10 times. check out the trailer.