Saturday, July 22, 2006

An End To Dreads



dreads. in my mind only meant for two people: lenny kravitz and bob marley.

so you can imagine my angst when i saw a waitress sporting them at dinner tonight. my disgust was two fold. the first fold being that she was NOT lenny kravitz and the second fold, she was serving food.

these dreads were the dirtiest, longest, most poorly kept dreads i had ever seen. time and time again i watched her flip them to the left, flip them to the right, shake 'em back, shake 'em forward; it was like she was doing the macarena with her hair. finally, right at the food counter (insert gag here) she gathered a clump of them up with her bare hands and tied them into an obnoxious knot on top of her head. she reminded me of the posers i went to art school with not so many moons ago. having these dreads means nothing to her other than trying to prove she is different, indie and fringe. i bet you money that a year from now, i will see her with a mohawk or better yet, she'll dye it all pink and cut her bangs to within a centimeter of her scalp.

now i'll admit, my hairstyles in the past have once or twice been influenced by a trend or celebrity...ok, ok, i did the "shannon-dougherty-90210-brenda" cut and i TRIED to do the "jennifer-anniston-friends-rachel" cut. but i was also a kid. i've grown, i've matured, i've realized the error of my ways.

now that i'm a woman, i just steel them off my mother. just kidding; that won't happen for at least 15 more years.

dreads in the food industry...so unpretty.

3 comments:

Beanorama said...

i'll give you that dreads in the food industry are not something to shimmy and shake around. I'm okay if they, like all hair, are contined. but the other night at World Cafe Live the violinist for Willie Mason was a white chick with rockin dreads. i think she was cool.

Jody said...

I tried dreads for about 3 weeks and then i grossed myself out and cut my waste-length hair to one inch. Nobody who knows me now believes me, but I really did have dreads! i've since learned that there is a way to keep dreads clean and manageable.

aaronic said...

I'm pro-dreads... to a certain extent. Unkempt = unacceptable.