Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I'm the next Craig LaBan.


I think it's a problem that I go out to eat so much that I start to notice what ingredients are en vogue and which ones are out. so much so, that i actually mentioned this in passing to a woman who works at a big-time magazine, and she passed the info on to their food editor. gosh, i hope i'm not a behind-the-times food dope. but here are my little baby thoughts on menu items:

I keep seeing pistachios instead of breading on fish. Honey keeps showing up--maybe a sexy alternative to sugar? Seared watermelon is all the rage in restaurants and on cooking shows (sounds nasty to me). Beets, that I love so much, appear in salads on the fanciest of menus despite how "dirt cheap" I am told that they are. I used to see my beloved artichokes and my not-so-beloved figs everywhere, but not so much anymore.

No wonder I never have money at the end of each paycheck. Maybe I should cook at home more. But I think we've gone over how difficult that would be. Eh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wonder when kraft cheese will be envogue...that would be hot.

"excuse me waiter? i will have the seared ahi tuna with kraft cheese reduction..."

NotoriousALG said...

I agree, Unus. The day Stephen Starr decides baked beans are an excellent side, I would die. Actually, we did have potato skins as a fondue accessory at Washington Square last weekend.