Thursday, August 10, 2006

PA Mummie

Take one Polish American String Band, two 20-something girls, about 150 Philadelphia residents over 75, and add a cardboard cooler of Miller Lite. What do you have? The best night ever! I recently left a work event attended by upper-class yuppie Center City snobs to go to a South Philly neighborhood PA (Polish American) concert. Armed with my social lubricant of choice, I managed to break it down with the die-hard geriatrics (no pun intended) while the band performed their exuberant melodies. I am finding it difficult to put the experience into words. Thank god I wasn't on any sort of drug when I was there because I think I would have freaked out. It was almost impossible to wrap my sober head around the sight that I was beholding. Basically, every born-and-bread neighborhood Philly stereotype was in attendance. When the event was over, I had only one question: When is the next concert? My new hobby will be PA groupie, a mummie if you will.

2 comments:

Beanorama said...

before i die, i want to perfect the mummers strut. Saxxy, care to share?

Anonymous said...

the strut is impossible to teach. it is in your heart, and you must find it.