Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Real World London was the boring-ist one.

Holy shizah. I just spent the last two hours watching quarter-life crises on the big screen. You think Zach Braff's new movie, The Last Kiss, is another feel-good film with a killer soundtrack? HELLS naw. This one does have a good soundtrack (Imogen Heap, anyone?) but you leave feeling shell-shocked rather than ooey-gooey happy.

The Last Kiss is not the romantic dramedy that the trailer promises. No way, man. This movie is all about how young, promising, hopeful, healthy good love is pretty much damn near impossible to sustain. How even the best relationships can lose something along the way...connection, honestly... and oh yea, monogamy.

And I'll tell you...two hours of brink-of-adulthood angst is a lot to take, especially when you are in the thick of it yourself. I watched the movie with three good friends: one is 3 weeks away from her wedding. One is in love, in a serious relationship. And one is in a fledgeling relationship. (Then there's single me, keeping myself OUT of a relationship for all the reasons seen in the movie, but that's between me and my diary.) We all left with wide-eyes, grimaces, stomache aches and more than a twinge of depression. Way to go, Zach.

Don't get me wrong. I am glad I saw this movie. It's well written and well played. But scary, 'cause it was truthful. And also... Rachel Bilson is in it, and I like her, even though she was basically Summer in the movie as well. (PS You can see her boobs if you watch the movie. And some guy's butt. That butt was the complete opposite of unpretty.) Peace out.

2 comments:

Beanorama said...

I'm the first to comment on my own post. I just read the reviews for the movie-- and basically, all the reviewers are like "Grow up Zach Braff! You're 30! Stop your bitching and suck it up." Despite what commercials tell us, we are not forever young.

Anonymous said...

wow. i want to see this, but i'm a-scared now. i am so impressionable, especially when it comes to depressing movies. i cried for a week after titanic in 1998.