Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Uh, OK...


twice today i had the unusual and disturbing experience of having two complete strangers comment on my appearance. i don't think its happened to me more than five times in my entire life; and yet today, a double cheeseburger.

critic numero uno was a maintenance man at my office building. as i was walking through my lobby on my way to a doctor's appointment, i spied him staring at me from outside the glass. he was at first just casually smoking his cigarette. but as i approached, he started nodding his head in an enthusiastic manner. then, as i started through the revolving doors, his nodding quickened and his smile grew big as he started mouthing words to me and pointing at me with his cigarette. i smiled back because i was nervous (that's what i do). when i finally emerged from the building and could finally hear what he was saying my smile faded.

"Aw, yeah! You look WAY BETTA' with a little bit of a heel!"

what?! huh?!

true, i don't usually do heels (i'm a notorious FSW--Flat Shoe Woman). this guy must keep major tabs on me to notice the one day i am wearing a heel--and yes, it was just a little bit--kitten, in fact.

my second run in with the fashion police happened tonight. there i am, at my local pharmacy, just minding my business, dropping off my prescription when suddenly i feel someone touching my shoulder. i turn around expecting to see an old friend or something, but am surprised when i find myself staring at a complete stranger; a short, young woman with lots of make-up and a troubled look all over her face.

"um, excuse me, but do you mind if i take this piece of cat hair off of your back? that kind of stuff really bothers me!" she says as SHE PROCEEDS TO PICK AT MY DRESS. i stood start still...in shock and just let it happen. she picked off the "cat" hair--which was not a cat hair at all, but a feather from one of sadie's angel wings (sadie is my daughter-er, i mean dog).

and then it was over. i didnt know what to say...except "thanks."

strangers commenting on your shoe choices or literally "knit picking" at the dog hair on your dress...SO UNPRETTY!

2 comments:

Beanorama said...

I think you should be pleased. Both were nice. Weird,but nice.

Flip Flop Girl said...

This reminds me... the other day I saved someone at work. I told a woman who was about to leave the bathroom that her skirt was tucked into her underwear in the back. Let me tell ya - UNPRETTY.