Monday, September 18, 2006

Why I am a jerk.


I just started my day with completely unwarranted anger, and I feel a little bad about it. Here's why: when I am running low on cash (which is... um... always) I bring the contents of my change jar to the Penny Arcade at Commerce Bank. Now, it's basically a change counter designed for children, as Penny talks to you, prompting you to hit the right buttons on the screen and even tried to get you to guess how much cash you'll get. Juvenile as it is, I like it better than rolling my coins. So, Penny and I had a hot date this morning, and before I could even empty out my baggie-o-coins into the tray, an ancient security guard ambles over and asks if I've used the machine before. I tell him yes, then proceed. He stands there. He prompts me at every turn. ("Now put your money in the tray. Now hit the green button.") He even pulled out the reciept and handed it to me. The whole time I was burning with annoyance because A) it's a child's machine, I can handle it B) I already TOLD him I know how to work it C) Yes, it added up only to $12.55, but it's my money and I'd rather not have him looking over my shoulder.

I knew my frustration was overblown. He was an elderly security guard, probably bored, thinking he was being parental and teaching me. But Commerce Bank is weird, and he was weirder, and forcing myself to say thank you to someone that had just made me have steam come out of my ears was a very unpretty way to start the week. And that's why I am a jerk.

4 comments:

NotoriousALG said...

Commerce is very strange. Remember the one on Broad Street? And even here in Wilmo, the gal the other day said, "Are you here to play with Penny?"

Anonymous said...

do you have to have an account there to use penny?

Anonymous said...

i love the name penny. completely not the point of your post, i know, but i love it.

i also love the name esther, sadie, lucy, monica, and stella.

thanks, and good night.

Beanorama said...

you do not have to have an account there.

Also, I had a cat named Penny. Best cat ever. The other night i dreamed she was choking on a fish bone and I couldn't save her. She smelled so sweet.