Sunday, January 27, 2008

A rose by another other name smells sweet, confuses me.




Imagine my confusion. I am watching a French movie about a little boy who thinks he is a little girl. The whole time, I am vaguely disconcerted... when does he grow up to be a lovely, famous singer?

Movie ends. Boy becomes girl but not singer.

Then my friend Smasheroo suggests we watch that Oscar-nominated actress as she protrays Edith Piaf, a French singer. A-ha! It's coming clear-ish. This is the movie I meant to see.

I mention to my mom that she needs to see the French singer-movie, La Vie En Rose, and she says, "Well, you know, I think I saw it... but it was about a little transgender boy..."

So, I'm not crazy! There was cause for confusion. France is not a big country. Only about the size of Texas. Why would they put out such similar titles?

BTW both movies were fab-o. LA Vie a bit more intense than MA Vie.

2 comments:

miz cynical said...

ooh la-la. See, a little French language skills would have cleared up the confusion. The movie "Ma vie en rose" Means "My Life in Rose/Pink." Which, you can understand the context. Little boy, always wanted to be a girl, etc. Then, La Vie en Rose becomes easier, cause it's about Edith Piaf, the women who wrote the song.

Au Revoir!

Anonymous said...

this movie was reaaaally good. the soundtrack even better.