Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Over the hill.


Kurt Cobain would be 40 this year. That blows my mind. Even more mind-blowing? He died at 27... the age I will be this year. I remember my mom picked me up from school in 7th grade, and she told me. We listened to it on NPR, then I put this Rolling Stone cover on my closet, where my New Kids poster had been just one year before, and a kitten poster two years before that.

Being the same age he was brings a little perspective- wow, this was a quiet guy that had massive fame, a drug-addled wife, a new baby, and boat loads of depression. Drugs + depression = Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix... all dead at 27 in the midst of their fame/careers. And they --like Judy Garland, James Dean, Marilyn Monroe-- got to spiral downhill without Perez Hilton documenting their every wedgie pick along the way. That's why I feel bad for La Lohan & Britney Spears... they are so utterly fucked and we all have to see every second of it.

That's Unpretty.

5 comments:

miz cynical said...

Wowsers. That is really deep.

Anonymous said...

Nirvana was my favorite band back in the day. Still one of them.

Smedelicious said...

Huh, I forgot that this was the anniversary of his death. I remember crying for days over this--I was completely obsessed wit Nirvana and Kurt Cobain. I think I may still have my shrine-o-magazines in my parents basements. He was a genius.

Anonymous said...

Thats it. We're having a Nirvana-thon. Starting with Bleach and ending with unplugged... or the live album from the muddy banks of the Wishka, either way, who's down?

Flip Flop Girl said...

Yesterday was also Penn State's 152nd birthday. I know only one other person reading this cares, but I have nothing to say about Kurt.