Monday, November 06, 2006

November: National Coming Out of the Closet to People magazine month



As some So Unpretty readers know, I have an unhealthy obsession with celeb gossip & news. Well, during my daily perusal of my favorite gossip website - eonline (THE best source for breaking celeb news, btw) I discovered that Neil Patrick Harris ( a.k.a Doogie Howser) came out of the closet on Friday! Neil revealed his sexuality in an interview with People magazine, just 2 days after his publicist denied that he's gay (duh). Unlike Lance Bass, I truly have to admit that I'm surprised. His convincing role as a womanizer on How I Met Your Mother is the only reason to watch the damn show. Eonline also pointed out that Neil is the 3rd person in recent months to admit to People magazine that they're gay ( The previous two being Lance Bass & some guy from Grey's Anatomy). As I said before, Lance Bass - no brainer. Dude from Grey's Anatomy - I think fellow castmate Isiah Washington "outed" him in a reportedly disgraceful, expletive filled on set fight.
I'm kind of surprised that it's Tuesday & there as yet to be a huge celeb media reaction.

Is that because: a) We're finally at a point as human beings where if you're a somewhat celeb (or a regular person), your sexuality is no longer headline making news?
b) This is election week - so there's been more important news to cover?
c) Good 'ol Doogie Howser just isn't newsworthy? Now, if he were Oprah, that would be a totally different story....

I guess my point is this, if you're a C or D list celeb, People magazine is obviously the magazine to conduct your exclusive sit down interview with to come "out".

And, I hope that one day option 'a' will be a reality.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was SHOCKED by the Grey's anatomy guy, whom i love. Doogie...not so much.

Flip Flop Girl said...

Aw...that was a nice little post-ender. I hope for the same.