Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Word of the Day is: Schadenfreude - meaning: taking pleasure or satisfaction from someone else's misfortune

This morning, as I was getting ready for work & thinking about the two newsworthy events that have taken place over the 24 hours, it occurred to me that this was the perfect word to describe how I'm feeling today. Yes, it may be a dark, wet & dreary day; but, I'm basking in the glow of schadenfreude as if it's my own personal ray of sunshine.

Why? Well, for the same reasons that Beanorama & Unusual Suspect have already written about today. And, yes, I realize that being both happy & elated over politics and pop culture is a bit incongrous (but don't those two topics overlap anyway?).

Schadenfreude - taking pleasure in the fact that Dems are finally back in control. At least until the Prez takes to the mic at his press conference and declares a recount.

Schadenfreude - Deriving satisfaction of being able to say "Gee, how's it feel to have the shoe on the other foot? You want a recount? No!" to losers who are walking around with their tails between their legs & making their concession speeches.

Schadenfreude- Laughing my ass off that Britney Spears has said "Auf wiedersehen!" to the worthless, good-for-nothing but-babies K-Fed.

Which brings me to my 2nd word of the day: Auf wiedersehen - meaning: goodbye. Source: Heidi Klum, Project Runway.

As in:

Auf wiedersehen, Kevin! Hope you saved your allowance from Britney & trade in your Ferrari. Early reports are saying that you'll have to pay your own legal bills. Bon chance!

Auf wiedersehen, Republicans! Things are about to change for the better.

Yep, I think that I'll be basking in this schadenfreude for as long as possible. Who knows when I'll feel this way again. In the political arena, this feeling may be stomped out by a simple press conference. If I look to pop culture, I may not feel this way until Angelina drops Brad's sorry, emasculated, well-toned ass (comments, Unusual?).

2 comments:

Beanorama said...

love it. love you.

geshundite.

yes i spelled that wrong

Anonymous said...

Angelina and Brad FOREVER