Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Goodbye, Sweet Jane.

Ladies, it's been a glorious ride, but it's all about to end. The idiots that brought you "ten ways to please your man" have now completely ended the run on one of the best women's magazines of my almost-three decades: goodbye, Jane Magazine.

Jane, the offshoot of the new & different Sassy, was a Fairchild Pub named after & written in the spirit of Jane Pratt, the free spirit that once made out with Drew Barrymore. Every month for years I would retreat to my bedroom and read Jane cover to cover, laughing out loud at everything from the cover lines to the captions. Jane was the first snark I ever snarked. Jane was a refreshing change from lame ass women's magazines that only wanted you to please your man at all costs. To do so, Jane didn't have to preach or to hate-- the writers just treated themselves and their readers with a healthy dose of self respect and humor.

Then... dum dum dum... here comes Conde Nast! The big bad Conde Nasty kicked out Jane Pratt. I;m sure they fired half the staff. And the new editor, Brandon Holley, SWORE Jane would still be Jane. But the Conde Nast influence was immediately obvious. They still had ball-busting headlines, but the fine print was the same ten ways to please your man type of bullshit.

I almost wrote in (but my day job made me too scared). I almost cancelled my subscription. But Katy's travel stories and Jeff's music reviews kept me subscribing, month after month, when eye rolls replaced belly laughs.

And today: the final nail in the Conde Nast coffin. May Jane rest in peace.

2 comments:

Smedelicious said...

Before I even read this, I planned a post about an article in Jane I read lastnight. WEIRD.

Anonymous said...

so sorry beano. you start the next best thing: Bean.