Monday, December 18, 2006

And Goodwill to (Wo)Men.....


While traveling on 95 South Friday afternoon, I felt a sudden thump and began to smell burnt rubber. As my steering column shook uncontrollably and kind motorists began to honk, I realized I had a flat tire. I somehow managed to navigate across three lanes of traffic and maneuver my Volvo to the right side of the road. And then the true panic set in....

...I had a dead cell phone.

I began to shake, threw my hazard lights on and exited my car, trying to flag down someone who would be kind enough to help me, the idiot with the flat tire, dead cell phone, and no car charger. I was lucky.

Good Samaritan One: A woman in a truck who stopped and not only offered to change my tire, but let me use her cell phone. Unfortunately, she did not have the proper size wrench to remove my lugnuts, so she couldn't change it. I did fire off a phone call to Volvo roadside assistance and to my sister, who was coming home from work on 95 South.

Good Samaritan Two: A man in a full (VERY NICE) suit who not only pulled over, but had all of the needed parts to change my tire. He was so kind.

Needless to say, I was overwhelmed by the goodwill and kindness of two complete strangers. I think in a time of cynicism and distrust, it is comforting to know that there are still good people out there. Good people that weren't Large Marge....but that's another story for another day.

4 comments:

Beanorama said...

oh sa-weetie. You must have been scared. You know why people helped you? because it's jesus' birthday. Happy birthday jesus!

miz cynical said...

Notorious-I'm so glad that you were able to get help, but:

1) I never pictured you as a Volvo driver
2) Please tell us the story of Large Marge. A title like that sounds hilarious.

Anonymous said...

god, beanie. next you'll be telling ALG that those were not actually good samaritans, but they were ANGELS.

jesus wept...

NotoriousALG said...

Ironically enough, I can't find any contact info for the Second Samaritan. Which means, he just might be, an ANGEL.