Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Rocky's Back, Mother Effer!


Last night I had the good fortune of getting tickets to the Philadelphia premiere of Rocky Balboa, aka, Rocky 6. Yes, I saw Sly. Yes I saw his kid, Milo. Jimmy Binns, some ESPN guy, Burt Young, etc, etc. Not to sound jaded, but I wasn't really into them, possibly because I have never seen Rocky 1-5. *blush*

Without spoiling it, here are a few deets on the movie. Rocky might be a prizefighter, but this movie ain't no prizewinner, in terms of credible acting. HOWEVER, I guarantee it will be a (wait for it) smasheroo at the Box Office because people love this sort of shit! Now, I did see it in Philly, yes, but the crowd went wild. At the first skyline shot, someone yelled out "It looks good!" After every impassioned speech, I heard rounds of applause. During training scenes, people chanted "Rocky! Rocky!" During fight scenes, I almost lost an eye because the business-suit wearing guy next to me was fake punching the air so hard (yelling, "It ain't bad, it ain't bad!')

The dialogue was brutal, the actors spoke like they were reading, but the fights and training and soundtrack rocked the mother-effing house. And Philly looked great! They did a good job of showing that South Philly is now not just Italians, but African Americans, Mexicans, and Asians as well. That was interesting. Though I doubt many old Italian men in South Philly have as much botox as Rocky. His eyebrows were a little distracting.

Go see it. And, I implore you, see it in a Philly theater if you can... it will be so much better.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

the suit was actually saying, "you aint so bad". remember when i told you apollo creed started training rocky in 3 after mickey died? apparently that was something he taught him to beat mr.T and rocky yelled it the whole match. you did know who rocky did battle with in 4 though

Beanorama said...

I did? I now forget. Ummm... Ivan?

Flip Flop Girl said...

Rocky got a pretty bad review in the Metro today.

Flip Flop Girl said...

Rocky got a pretty bad review in the Metro today.

Anonymous said...

why are you posting repeat comments?

Anonymous said...

why are you posting repeat comments?