Friday, December 29, 2006

Crazy meds commercials



For almost a week, I've been suffering from an annoying head cold. While I've been laying in bed, surrounded by discarded tissues, reaking of Vicks Vaporub & mindlessly watching television, I've noticed two odd cold commercials: 1) Robitussin 2) Happy Feet flu tips.

The Robitussin commercial struck me as being particularly odd because even as I've walked down the aisles of CVS in a cold medication/stuffy nose induced haze, never once has the medicine on the shelves spoke to me. Who thought this was a good idea? Considering the fact that some teenagers take Robitussin to get high, didn't the marketing people at the company think that this would be an odd commercial premise?

The other cold commerical that's a bit befuddling is the Happy Feet/flu facts. I have to admit that I'm a bit biased because I hate Happy Feet (just like I hate all kids movies), but I feel that Happy Feet has been used to promote way too much crap. I really don't get what dancing penguins & the flu have in common. But, this commercial tells you that the penguins are going to tell you something about the flu. Once again, I have to question how much medicine I've ingested 'cause its just is too surreal.

I guess the lesson is - kids, use meds to get high. That way, penguins will start dancing & stuff in the drugstore will start talking to you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

penguins are so cute. but if one came near me when i was sick, i'd kill it.

Flip Flop Girl said...

I agree about the movie. It's been one big ad scheme.

Anonymous said...

products always talk to me while i walk down the aisle. am i the only one who has had a loaf of bread tell me to kill the stock boy?