Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Dear Mr. Levin.....


It is a truth acknowledged statewide that there are certain things that Delawareans love and hold dear to their hearts: the Blue Hens; the beach; the Italian/Greek festivals; the News Journal; scrapple; the part in Wayne's World when they say, "Hi, I'm in Delaware,"; and most of all, Happy Harry's. For those readers who have not been privy to the glory of the East Coast's best kept secret, allow me to explain. Started by Harry Levin (now owned by his son, Alan) Happy Harry's, in short, is the bomb. We love it. Located in countless locations in Delaware, Pennsylvania, and maybe Maryland, they have everything you could ever want: a pleathora of greeting cards, cosmetics, shampoo and conditioner, magazines, t-shirts and even birthday presents in a pinch. One of the best presents I have ever received was a Happy Harry's gift card. It is so well-known that Happy Harry's is a one-stop shop for sundries (love that word!) that their tagline is: "Happy Harry's has it!"

Well, this morning, they DID NOT HAVE IT. As much as I hate to admit it, my pink eye came back in a big way. I went to the doctor in a box yesterday and they gave me a "more powerful" prescription than the one I was first prescribed. So I trotted down to the Happy Harry's near my workplace and waited patiently for my eye drops. The pharmacist called my name and waved me over. I half-expected her to laugh and ask, "I'm sorry, this is for pink eye. No one YOUR AGE gets PINK EYE, YOU DIRT BAG!" But alas, I was wrong and spared the shame.

"Miss, we had to special order this. No Happy Harry's carries this. It'll be ready tomorrow." Dumbfounded, I agreed to pick it up tomorrow, turned on my heel, and left. And I am actually wondering what kind of acid they are giving me to burn whatever this is out of my eyes?

I can't believe they failed me. I did buy all new eye make-up, though, which took me an hour because they have such a wide selection of mascara.

5 comments:

Beanorama said...

when my parents moved to wilmo, they almost bought the house across the street from where happy harry lived. that would have been very happy indeed!

Anonymous said...

does HH carry a line of new eyeballs?

NotoriousALG said...

That's what I really need. Seriously. But they have to be alluring, cat-eye, replacements.

Saucy said...

is it just me or does Happy Harry look like Drew Carey??

MJL said...

I think he looks like a cross between Drew Carey and Al Franken.