Thursday, May 25, 2006

Ode to a spiny food.


today i would like to sing the praises of the artichoke-- or, shall i say, la alcachofa. is it a fruit? a veggie? no tengo ningun idea. but i do know that its tangy, savory taste improves my paninis, my salads, and my life.

la alcachofa is quite complex. it has both a "heart" (its good side) but also a "choke" at it center (its evil side). and i bet you didn't know you could peel off the leaves and dip them in butter! and everyone loves butter.

(which leads me to a little story: at one of the first dinners with my highschool boyfriend's family, i was nervous, on my best behaviour and so polite--then i was faced with a plate full of pointy leaves and told to mangia. well, mangia i did... and i've been eating artichokes with glee ever since. the boyfriend is long gone, but the artichokes have stayed.)

4 comments:

MJL said...

Behaviour?

I never knew you were so European!

Beanorama said...

or, such a bad speller.

Jody said...

you oughta try deep fried artichoke hearts. You can get them on the way to Monterey...Or visit here in CA, the artichoke capital of the world and take a stealth walk through the artichoke fields!

SilverBraceletsOnHerWrists said...

Everything is improved when you dip it in melted butter. That rule should be in the Constitution.

Love your blog!