Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Unprettiest Post of the Month


sorry for the length of this post, but i couldn't cheat S.U. readers out of seeing this article for themselves....

if you think for one second that this is anything other than an excuse to do what all of the rest of us proudly own up to doing occasionally (and that is of course having no self control and overeating in the wee hours of the night due to either intoxication, stress or because we're between new seasons of the O.C.)than i need to hear from you and you better be able to argue your point-and yes, i'm the writer who recently quit smoking, so BEWARE!

"Ever since she was little, Amy Koecheler, a 22-year-old college senior in Eau Claire, Wis., has done something unusual: In the middle of the night, she gets out of bed to eat, without even waking up.

She isn't conscious during her nocturnal noshing, and has no memories, despite all the times she's done it.

"Not until the next morning, when I saw the evidence of the bowl from my cereal, or I had left the milk out, or the chips were on the couch and they were still open," Koecheler said.

With Koecheler's permission, "Good Morning America" set up surveillance cameras in her apartment for a week. The cameras caught Koecheler sleep eating one night (she now takes medication so her sleep eating is more under control) and showed a side of her that neither she nor boyfriend Ryan Kelly had ever seen before.

"I'd never feel anything 'cause I sleep like a rock," he said.

When Kocheler viewed the tape, she was very surprised by her behavior.

"I was like a zombie. What am I doing? Looks like M&Ms. I'm loud. How many handfuls did I take?" she said with a laugh. "I didn't think I ate Cheetos, did I? That's kind of scary that I didn't—"

Then she saw herself drinking lemonade.

"I don't remember drinking that lemonade at all," she said. "Watching the video, I don't remember anything."

3 comments:

Beanorama said...

sometimes i get up in the night and write lists, does that count? or am i just compulsive?

Anonymous said...

you are just compulsive...i bet you write those lists with a BLUE pen too, right?

Anonymous said...

beanorama- do you only like blue pens? if so, we must be sisters... i am constantly berated for only writing in BLUE PENS! when i went to work at the hospital and had to write in the charts in black pen, it was a VERY difficult adjustment period.