Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Sex and the Time Machine?


I am a cliche of a 26 year old woman, let's just get that out of the way: I love Sex and the City. I am sad it is gone. I miss Carrie, Miranda... hell I even miss Stanford Blatch. I watch the watered-down reruns on TBS. But last night's rerun brought up something that has troubled me before:

It's the episode where Carrie has her first date with Berger (who I never liked, BTW). She is running down the street, and sees Aidan, who turns around... and has a baby strapped to his front. Imagine Carrie's surprise. Aidan has a baby. Aidan is married.

Whaaa? I know TV is fantasty, but the chronology here is fucked. Remember that Carrie and Aidan broke up. Remember Carrie had the run in with Nina "the face," who turns out to be Aidan's ex. Remember that run-in prompts Carrie to ask Steve how Aidan was after the break up, and Steve tells Carrie Aidan couldn't get out of bed for a month after the breakup.

OK. Let's do the math. Break-up plus one month recovery time plus one summer when Carrie is in the Hamptons = Aidan is married with a baby? Me no think so.

I even had to call ALG to confirm. Without even having watched the episode, she had total recall... she even remembered how Carrie said "Oh Aidan..." ALG was equaly as pissed and confused as I.

Conflating time is not my idea of a good time.

PS This image is from the scene itself.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. this just made me sad. for you.

Anonymous said...

I am enraged. It's total b.s. and honestly, the scene does nothing except get Carrie to call Berger to go see "Craig's Room" then, even though she's in a bad outfit.

Ut oh, Unusual. Be sad for me, too.

Anonymous said...

I;m sad for you all but also myself because I saw and remember this episode.

Flip Flop Girl said...

Aidan was always my favorite, and my heart broke when I saw this episode. Bean, I agree that Berger sucked and did not deserve the amount of airtime he received.

Beanorama said...

the jazz guy also blew. And so did the Ballerina.

Flip Flop Girl said...

Omg I can't believe the jazz guy was any more than a one-night stand.

NotoriousALG said...

"Carrie likes a jazz man..."

"Hey, wanna play me?"

Ew. He was a tool.

Steve is still my number one guy.

Smedelicious said...

I can't handle this episode because I love Aidan and want to marry him. I would even marry the fat version of Aidan, I think he was sexier and more rugged then anyway.

Anonymous said...

i love when Carrie comes home from the gay club and Aiden is asleep in his tighty whities with his hand in the bucket of KFC. Then he refuses sex but asks her to, "rub his belly." What a man.